21 February 2013

New Year's Resolution Check-in

At the beginning of the year I made a few resolutions...what's new, right?  However, this year I'm trying to hold myself accountable with a monthly check-in (okay, the monthly check-in was Matt's idea).  So here goes.

Resolution 1:  Blog on my campaigning blog weekly.  Yeah, that hasn't happened.  I've done one post in 2013.  And I'm afraid it's going to stay on the back burner for at least a little while longer.

Resolution 2:  Keep the grocery budget at/under $600/month.  That probably seems like a lot, but in New York City, for a family of 6, it's tough.  That $600 includes not just groceries, but diapers, shampoo, etc. as well as any eating out or babysitting or basically anything that's not a monthly bill.  I have yet to accomplish this.

Resolution 3:  Read the Bible daily.  No specific amount, not trying to finish in a year, just read it.  I'm happy to report that I've managed to read the daily readings EVERY DAY IN 2013!  So far, at least.  I just get them emailed to me from Catholic.org.  I also started reading the book of Job in December, but haven't found time to pick it back up.

Resolution 4:  Really pray.  This is something I know I don't do enough of.  Does anyone, really?  I find myself often saying in my head, 'oh, I should totally pray about that/for that person,' and then it gets relegated to a mental to-do list that I never think about again until the next time I add stuff to it.  I think I can give myself at least a check for this one, as I've been making a point to utilize down time on the train or pushing the stroller to chat with the Big Man.  I'd like to step it up to more formal prayer soon, though.

Resolution 5:  Read a new book each month.  I rocked this in January.  February, not so much.  I just haven't had time to even pick one out.  I'm counting all the reading I did in January to make up for it, though.  I finished 3 books that I'd started and just hadn't gotten around to finishing - one of which was Quietus, a fantasy genre book by an old friend of mine!  It was so nice to escape to another realm for a while.

Resolution 6:  Get fit enough to pass the PT test.  This is a big one for me.  It's hard enough to lose weight after a pregnancy, but rebuilding muscle that's atrophied from lack of physical activity is even harder.  And now that I'm not active, no one is holding me to a higher standard, so it's up to me to push myself.  Sit ups are going to be the worst part.  Honestly, I haven't even started working on this, which is upsetting.  I'm tired of feeling weak and run-down because I don't exercise.  Of course, I don't exercise because I feel weak and run-down.  And I have 4 kids.  And spend 4 hours going back and forth to their school.  And am planning the end-of-year fundraiser, among other things. And, and, and...

Resolution 7:  Eliminate yelling/swearing.  I was doing okay with this one in January.  Things have just gone downhill with everything in February.  I've really gotta straighten out in March.

Resolution 8:  Schedule time away from the family twice a month.  I think I've kept this one up, but not as well as I should.  Usually, I only leave Matt alone with the kids when I have (paying) work to do that I haven't finished during the day, and even then I only stay gone long enough to do the work and then hurry back.  As much as I know I need to get away - for their sanity as well as mine - it's really hard!  Every little kid I see reminds me of my own and makes me homesick for them.  I need to redouble my efforts here and use that time for Resolution 1.

So that's it.  Looking at it now, I don't think I've done all that well, but at least I've reminded myself and can hopefully do better moving forward.  I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment