01 May 2009

To Pee Or Not To Pee

Karol is 1 year, 5 months and 14 days old. Some people think that's early to start thinking about potty training, other people think it's way too late.

I started researching the topic of potty training a few months ago because quite frankly I had no clue when that was supposed to happen. The typical response from babycenter.com and parents.com (websites that consume about 75% of all my online time) say potty training usually begins between 2 and 3 years.

However, parents didn't start waiting that long to potty train until Dr. Spock told them to (to avoid psychological trauma) in the 50's and the advent of disposable diapers in the 70's. In many cultures children are trained as early as 12 months. There's even a cult movement towards training infants. On the flip side, some people say it's important to wait until a child is absolutely ready, and that could be as late as 4 years old!

As it happens, Karol has been exhibiting some of the signs that she's 'ready.' When she started acting curious in the bathroom I got her a little potty so she could do what mommy does and she's an expert at lifting the lid, sitting on the potty (with pants on--she does a little seated potty dance instead of actually pottying) and putting down the lid.

As many of you know, she's also a quick learn at 'baby signs,' the creators of which also have a potty training 'baby signs' DVD. I'm pretty sure that after 2 days with that video she'd know everything there is to know about going potty, so I'm torn. Should I start actively potty training at barely 18 months? Should I continue passively training her? Please leave me a comment and tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment