07 May 2014

Discipline

Just when I think I've tried and learned enough to write a book on child-rearing thing, one of them inevitably brings me a whole new challenge.

K, for example, is the most mature and pleasant 6 year old 95% of the time, and then someone or something will set her off in a screaming fit the likes of a 2 year old, and I have no idea how to deal with it.  I've been sending her to the opposite end of the house where she isn't disturbing everyone else/getting attention, more to 'cool off' and collect herself, and then talking to her reasonably.  No clue if it's working yet or not.

And then there's M who is Just. Plain. Stubborn.  No form of reactive/negative discipline works all that well, so I've been trying really hard to take note of every time he obeys right away or does something good and say 'you just did what Mommy asked!' and give lots of praise/kisses.  He seems to eat up that positive attention for good behavior.  Again, no idea how well it's working yet.

I guess only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment